Ashes of Creation offers nine playable races.
Verra is a world with rich and diverse cultures. Much of its important history has been dominated by the major races. Humans of the coast and plains, Orcs within the hills and the marshes, Elves in the forest and the riverlands, and the esteemed Dwarves of the mountains. The major races have held dominance through countless wars and skirmishes between the lesser races of Verra. Decades may pass between these flareups of violence. There are many minor races on Verra. Some of the minor races exist in makeshift villages or tribes if you will. Some of the major villages among the minor races are comprised primarily of the Giants, less reputable sects of Human, Gnomes, and Halflings. The Halflings are not Halflings in a traditional sense but actually half-bloods of different races. – Steven Sharif
Wandering the darker places in the world lie truly sinister abominations of creation. The great churches of civilization often dispatch heroes of the state to eliminate these threats to mortals. There currently exist four great nations on Verra. This is 25 years roughly before the fall: The Aelan Empire, Pyrian Kingdom, the Kaivek Protectorate, and the nation of the Dünzenkell. There was not always only four great nations. Long ago the races were more divided into many nations and city states. – Steven Sharif
In the 7,000 years of recorded history, wars upon wars were fought. Some for land, others for resources, many for beliefs. Royal houses stood and fell over the years. Some now long bereft of lordship. Many city states exist in Verra. Some self-governed bastions of democracy and republics alike. Others are vassal states at the behest of their benefactors. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Aela
- 2 Dünzenkell
- 3 Kaivek
- 4 Pyrian
- 5 Tulnar
- 6 NPC races
- 7 Changing race
- 8 Racial appearance
- 9 Montarias raciais
- 10 Racial weapons and armor
- 11 Racial benefits
- 12 Racial influence on nodes
- 13 Áreas iniciais
- 14 Missões Raciais
- 15 Story of creation
- 16 Visuals
- 17 Community guides
- 18 Ver também
- 19 Referências
Aelan Humans are split into two races: Kaelar and Vaelune.
The Aelan empire is the most recent successor of the once great house of Lyneth. For over one thousand years the house of Lyneth ruled over the Aela. A golden age endured for most of their reign. It was only during the dawn of [the last century before the fall], during the Great War of the Undying that the house fell. With no suitable heir to the Lyneth throne the country fell into chaos. What arose is the fragile republic we see today. Overseen by the Emperor elected through the Council of Five: The five who govern the greatest cities on the Empire. The Aelan empire is by far the largest nation in all of Verra, with over eight million souls among its inhabitants. Aelans also represent the single largest population on Verra. Their borders touch upon every other nation; and with their interests of expansion on the seas of Verra, they are able to deploy their widely feared armies to any shore. The Empire uses this fear to bully many city states, bending them to their will. Those who deny the will of the Empire often find themselves at the end of a sword. – Steven Sharif
The Riverlands biome was the ancestral home of the Aelan and is the present day home of the Kaelar.
The Toren half-elves were the predecessor of both the Aelan and Pyrian races.
Kaelar (pronounced Kay-lar) are a playable Aela Human race in Ashes of Creation.
- Build. Order. Civilization. These are the foundational principles of the Kaelar. Their empire in the old world spanned the largest of all, and they plan to do the same in this world. Extremely loyal to their roots, the Kaelar will rise to the challenge.
Vaelune (pronounced Vay-lune) are a playable Aela Human race in Ashes of Creation.
- Trade. Law. Hardship. The Vaelune were forged in the heat of the desert, and through the ages became a blade that bends, but does not break. Through the development of a complex web of relationships and savvy negotiation, the Vaelune grew into one of the wealthiest empires in Sanctus, despite having few natural resources to exploit themselves. Their environment has taught them what it means to kill or be killed, whether through the beasts of the desert or the snakes in the market square.
Dünzenkell Dwarves are split into two races: Dünir and Niküa.
Deep in the mountains of Verra legend tells of a forge created by the gods, from whence all Dwarves are originated. Fabled to be the first created of the major races, the Dwarves are said to have arrived on the continents with ships made of stone and steel. Dwarven smiths and craftsmen are found far and wide across Verra. The center of the Dwarven race is the nation of Dünzenkell, found deep in the northern mountains. Dwarven society tends to be heavily matriarchal and their clans existing under the oftentimes eldest matriarch. Dwarves are closely connected to one-another by alliances forged between family guilds. The Dwarven child is marked at a young age with his or her guild sigil. Some dwarves banished from Dünzenkell or having chose to walk a path alone will often have their sigls burned from their skin. – Steven Sharif
The Dünzenkell nation, deep within the mountains of Verra exists the oldest nation in the world. The Dünzenkell have been known as many names over the ages, but only one name has graced the highest mountain, within which their capital has stood since the beginning of recorded history: Dün. The Dwarves of the Dünzenkell rule through a council of guilds. A royal family is chosen once every 200 years by this council to rule. Currently the right to rule falls on the shoulders of King Grimlay. It has been nearly 400 years since a king has lead the Dünzenkell. Traditionally this role falls to the matriarchs of the family. Expeditions are often sent into the Underrealm from Dün; and there many believe lies the source of secrets among the Dwarves and their success with mastering artisanship. Untold magic lies deep within Verra. It's source not known to many. Dünzenkell has long benefited from this source though. It has fueled the expansion of the Dwarven kingdoms throughout the northern mountains. – Steven Sharif
Dünir (pronounced Doo-near) are a playable Dünzenkell Dwarven race in Ashes of Creation.
- Stoic. Tradition. Forge. Most of the peoples from the old world would see a mountain and think nothing of it. The Dünir saw a defensible home where riches abound. The Dünir take immense pride in what they craft and what they build: fortifications that seem impregnable, warhammers that never break, or beautiful gems for their royalty are all in their repertoire. Don't be deceived by their stout stature. They're pound for pound the strongest warriors the world has ever known.
Niküa (pronounced Ni-koo-ah) are a playable Dünzenkell Dwarven race in Ashes of Creation.
Family. Freedom. Courage. Where the Dünir saw mountains as home, the Niküa saw it as a prison. How could they complete the great hunt inside a cave? The craft of their brothers doesn't elude them though; they too are highly skilled artisans. Instead of jewelry for nobles, the Niküa see crafting as a right of passage and advancement of the family. Will you progress your people from the mountains of your ancestors?
Kaivek Orcs are split into two races: Ren'Kai and Vek.
The Kaivek have always adhered to a strict code of tribal loyalty... Roughly thirteen centuries [before the fall], a leader named Ran'Kal united the clans into a nation called the Kaivek Protectorate. Kal taught that all Orcs answer to the protection of the divine order. This teaching expressed the belief that it was the will of the gods that all Orc kind should have superiority over the nations of Verra. For it was only through the unity of the clans that the people of Verra would be lead to enlightenment. It was the teachings of Kal that lead the Kaivek to pursue campaigns of conquest across the lands of Verra. Where the Orcs were once nomadic and divided before Kal, through his leadership they became a powerful nation united in conquest. Trophies of each city conquered is found in the capital city of Ren. [Just before the fall] the Kaivek Protectorate have adopted a policy of peaceful coexistence with their neighbors. Having endured centuries of conflict, leaders rose among them echoing the teachings of peace. These recent reformations have once again begun to lead to a fracturing of the Protectorate. Some unrest among the clans have called for a culling of those who are unworthy of the protection from the divine order. – Steven Sharif
Ren'Kai (pronounced Ren-k'eye) are a playable Kaivek Orc race in Ashes of Creation.
- Honor. Power. Tranquility. Through staying centered their power only grows. The Ren'Kai believe in ultimate focus and controlling their immense power. When a Ren'Kai becomes enraged though, there aren't many men or beasts who can live and tell the tale.
- The developers have alluded to Ren'Kai or their parent race, the Kaivek, possibly having a Dragonborn lineage.
Vek (pronounced Veck) are a playable Kaivek Orc race in Ashes of Creation.
Celestial. Purpose. Fate. When one stargazes they find beauty lies beyond our world, when The Vek stargaze they find fate lies beyond our time. Star maps, numerology and prophecy are integral parts of each Vek's life. Great leaders read the heavens for how wars will go, which empires will rise and fall, and the Vek often ask themselves "are we too late?"
- Racial benefits may include navigation on the open seas.
Pyrian Elves are split into two races: Empyrean and Py'Rai. Pyrian are the parent Elven race from long ago: The ancient elves.
For over 4,000 years the Pyrian royal family of Eradal has endured. The kingdom has seen its share of wars. The kingdom's borders encompass the great forest of Eranthia. The capital of Amera is among the oldest and most beautiful cities in the world. Its royal families can trace their lines back to the days of the Dark Fires. The Pyrian universities of magic and martial studies are unparalleled in the lands of Verra. Many of the citizens of the Kingdom venture out into the lands of Verra wishing to spread their knowledge of art and science to their fellow Verrans. These ventures are often subsidized by the royal households of Pyria for hopes it will foster a better relationship with their Human neighbors. Once a close ally of Aela and the house of Lyneth, the Pyrian Kingdom and Aelean Empire ended one of the bloodiest wars in Verran history. Eighty years have passed since the last bloodshed; and although tensions have subsided among the citizens of the two nations, there remains a heightened level of distrust among the Empire's new rulers and the royal family of Pyria. – Steven Sharif
The Elven race is generally a secretive one and exists within the Pyrian kingdom. Primarily a patriarchal society, Elves tend to keep within the natural borders of their forests. It has only been over the past millennia that the Riverlands have begun to see colonies of Elves exist. Elven scholars, dignitaries and pioneers can often be found in many of the human cities: Though their presence is rarely seen in sites other than archaeological, academic or diplomatic. Rumors do abound throughout the darker circles of Verra that there lies a particular lineage of Elves that exist within the Underrealm of Verra. – Steven Sharif
The predecessor of both the Aelan and Pyrian races were the Torens, which were essentially half-elves.
Empyrean (pronounced Em-peer-e-an) are a playable Pyrian Elven race in Ashes of Creation.
- Imperial. Pride. Culture. Though not as numerous as the Kaelar, the Empyreans are a force to be reckoned with. Elite military forces and a highly structured government. The people of the Empyrea surely have a plan to carve their place in the world.
Py'Rai (pronounced Pie-ray) are a playable Pyrian Elven race in Ashes of Creation.
Nature. Balance. Fury. All things come to balance in time, and nature always has her way. Don't let their love for nature fool you though, the Py'Rai rarely take prisoners. Whether by bow or spear, the Py'Rai's legacy will take root.
Tulnar (pronounced Tull-nar) is a playable race in Ashes of Creation. The Tulnar fled to the Underrealm to escape the Corruption that befell Verra.
- The Tulnar is a combination of four major races and many minor races that were left behind on Verra after the apocalypse.
- They're a combination of the leftover races, not just the leftover major race populations, but the leftover minor races as well; and that's what gives them their attributes that are bestial, or reptilian, humanoid; and that players can use sliders to influence the visual representation of. But in a similar fashion, their cultural markers are also going to be a combination of different influences, so they're very differently constructed culture than what is found in the other eight races. – Steven Sharif
- Tulnar stands for "the forgotten".
- Tulnar are not restricted to the Underrealm (there are no factions).
- Tulnar eat many things!
- The Tulnar religion is a combination of religious beliefs of the major races as well as pagan beliefs of the minor races that evolved over time as they coexisted together in the Underrealm.
- Tulnar are not a result of corruption.
- The Tulnar have souls and these souls act as conduits for The Essence.
- Were the Tulnar a result of corruption in their creation, or was it purely a kind of you know crossbreeding between the multiple minor and major races that existed in the Underrealm during the after the apocalypse? They are not a result of corruption. So there is no corruption that was that was taken into account during their creation. – Steven Sharif
Once selected, a character's race should be final.
Your primary archetype selection and your race selection should be - because they have gameplay influences - should be final. – Steven Sharif
The races in Ashes of Creation are primarily humanoid in appearance. This was mainly driven from a lore perspective as well as savings in animation and character design.
- I didn't feel that it was necessary to recreate the wheel on races from a fantasy perspective. I'm not sure how much that would add to the flavor of the game. Obviously I think that we're capable of doing unique things within the cultures and I think we are doing that specifically like an islander dwarf race. I mean like that really hasn't been seen before; or a stargazing noble Vek kind of looking race: Those things are still unique and they still bring innovation to the idea of what these races can be, but at the same time there's a familiarity there that players can feel comfortable with in the traditional fantasy setting. – Steven Sharif
Dünir dwarven appearance
Facial hair is characteristic of the Dünir, not the Niküa.
- Female Dünir beards will not match that of the male. It will be more of a braided option that is not as voluminous.
- Body hair may also be a character customization option for female Dünir.
- The developers updated the Dünir dwarves' design to have a more stout traditional fantasy appearance based on feedback from Alpha-1.
Niküa dwarves have a "halfling" appearance.
The Tulnar race does not have sub-types. Instead, players will be able to significantly customize the appearance of Tulnar characters based on three base influences; or blend between these different influences.
- Simian (or mammalian).
Raças are primarily humanoid in appearance.
- There are feline and bestial components that can be scaled up when creating a Tulnar character but Tulnar do not equal furries.
- Catgirl and Loli Tulnar are not able to be created.
- Tulnar do not equal furries, but there are definitely some bestial components that you can scale up when you're creating your Tulnar character, so you could max that setting I guess. Whether or not that would give you what you would think of as a furry, I guess it's going to be up to your interpretation of what a Furry is. – Steven Sharif
- The Tulnar do not have avian characteristics. The sentient avian races (such as the Sladeborne) did not take refuge in the Underrealm.
- Q: Will character creator allow us to make Tulnar that might look somewhat like Kobolds from Pathfinder or DnD?
- A: I wouldn't say exactly, but there's definitely elements of Kobolds that you could incorporate in a character creator with the Tulnar, yes. – Steven Sharif
- Mammalian Tulnar may have snout features, fur and inverted knees.
- Reptilian Tulnar may have more circular eyes and head shape, and scaly skin.
Character races are super important. These are the choices that we make at the onset of our adventure in an MMORPG: what race- not just mechanically aligns with our decisions, if those races have game mechanics behind them from a stat perspective, but visually and culturally and historically: What are these? What do these races represent? So it's important that visually they're distinct. And everyone's seen fantasy games do Elves, so everyone's seen them do Humans, everyone's seen them do Orcs: There's an established expectation almost behind what these traditional fantasy races represent; and there's a risk, because whenever you're creating a new IP or a new story or a new world- a new Universe; a realm in which things don't have to always be the norm, you can take a little bit of creative liberty to redefine some of the aspects of a particular race; and that can be a good thing, because it's something that is new to players. It's something that is unique to the realm that we're building- the surroundings that you have. So what we wanted to do was push a little bit more on the unique side of what the Py'rai would look like from a visual perspective. – Steven Sharif
- Aelean architecture has a French medieval influence.
- Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.
- Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.
- The Kaelar have a European racial influence.
- The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.
- The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence. Py'Rai architecture has a woodland inspiration.
- Pyrian architecture has a Greco-Roman influence.
- The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.
- The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.
You will see in the different races that are available from a player character standpoint a lot of different influences that reflect many cultures in the world: Not just European, not just Africa, not Mesoamerican. These cultures are going to be present in many of the races. – Steven Sharif
The idea is just to find a base component in the real world as a starting point and then to begin to fantasize. – Steven Sharif
Personagens são capazes de obter montarias raciais via a quests na área inicial daquela raça.
Cada área inicial terá diferentes narrativas de quest que garantirão diferentes tipos de montaria. Mas por definição você não escolhe, você sabe, tipo, humano, e aí ganha um cavalo. Porque você pode ser humano em nosso jogo e escolher começar num Portal Divino de outra raça - e aí você poderia seguir uma narrativa de quest que lhe daria a montaria dos Orcs. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
Armas and armor are not race locked, but armor will take on a racial appearance.
- The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
- Racial appearance of gear is focused on Armadura. Armas will not change in appearance but will scale in size based on race.
- Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
- When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
Each race has different base stats.
- Races are not gender or class locked.
- Some classes may work better with certain races but nothing is enforced.
A player's choice of race will influence their racial augments.
You'll have racial augments that are capable of being applied to active skills and those augments are going to be a reflection of the flavor of that specific race. In addition, races will have differing degrees of stats and our game in our class system relies on certain stats to achieve different metrics in the game when it comes to damage, defense, and landing rates and all that kind of stuff. – Steven Sharif
Stat growth proceeds in the following order:
- The race "seeds" a player's base stats.
- The primary archetype grows the base stats.
- The secondary archetype (class) does not contribute to stat growth. This is a revision of an earlier statement.
Different races have different stat compositions. Those stats can be important, but we also don't want them to dictate any kind of meta for what classes are best used with different races. – Steven Sharif
Choice of profession does not affect a player's stats.
Gear has approximately a 40-50% influence on a players overall power in the game.
Racial augments are based on a character's race and are available to each class.
- These apply to abilities on a character's primary archetype.
- They affect how the ability works and can also apply cosmetic effects.
In keeping with our theme of Consequence, and unlike other games, race won’t just be a matter of look, with relatively inconsequential abilities tacked on. Instead they integrate deeply into our class system, augmenting and changing the basic chassis provided by our eight core archetypes. Our goal here is to create a system where an elven fighter feels different, but serves the same role as a dwarven fighter.
Racial influence on nodes
Cultural influences manifest in many ways, from node and gear aesthetics to NPC languages and lore.
- Gear appearance of certain armor sets is influenced by the player's race.
- Node layout and style is influenced by the race that contributes the most to that node.
- NPCs will react differently to different character races.
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
Racial influence on node layout and style
O layout e o estilo de uma Base são determinados por diversos fatores:
- Localização da base.
- Tipo de Base.
- Raça que mais contribuiu para a evolução da Base.
- Aparências raciais dos prédios e dos PNJs de uma Base.
- Isso se aplica a todas as bases, incluindo bases de castelo.
- O resto é determinado pelo prefeito da base.
Algumas partes são determinadas pela área onde a base está. Outras, pelo tipo da base; certas partes são determinadas pela raça, e o resto é determinado pelo prefeito. – Jeffrey Bard
Todas as bases, sejam elas relacionadas aos castelos ou não, têm influências culturais que são replicadas nas aparências dos prédios e dos PNJs presentes na Base. – Steven Sharif
Existe uma mecânica de atrito que afeta a experiência e influência para impedir que uma única raça domine o mundo inteiro.
Existe um atrito e esse atrito na experiência e influência aumenta de acordo com a performance da raça no mundo. Então se todas as bases forem de Orc, o nível de atrito deles será muito alto para competir com outras raças na hora de estabelecer a cultura de novas bases. Isso acontece pois já são muito influentes e existe uma opinião popular contra eles nas regiões que não influenciam. – Steven Sharif
Áreas iniciais (starting zones) are located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races of Verra.
- Starting areas are located near one of the four divine gateways where players spawn into the world.
- Each race has its own starting area.
- Starting areas include expeditionary NPC settlements that serve as initial quest origination points. Lore-wise, these settlements represent scouts that were sent ahead of the main expedition back to Verra.
- Starting areas are not tied to the node system.
A problem that a lot of MMOs have is that those starting areas become just kind of vacant of players and it's so sad because the greatest aspect of an MMO is that community that you get to experience, so one of the great things about the node system is that it really works from new player acquisition standpoint, where these nodes tend to develop larger near the starting location areas around the world; and it brings these players back to those locations if they're citizens and want services within those cities. So, as new players enter the world they're going to actually be surrounded most likely by more population because people are coming back to those larger nodes. – Steven Sharif
Tulnar starting area
Tulnar have a starting area that does not involve a divine gateway.
- Pontos de interesse exist that represent Tulnar NPC structures in a similar fashion to the starting areas around divine gateways.
- Tulnar have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.
Tulnar have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways. Their civilization, though within the underrealm, has also begun to explore the surface. – Steven Sharif
Unlike the other races, the Tulnar won’t be returning to Verra, instead they will be returning to the surface from the Underrealm for the first time in generations.
- The Underrealm itself does not have a divine gateway.
Alpha-0 starting area
In Alpha-0, players started at an Empyrean divine gateway.
Missões poderão ser baseadas na raça de um personagem.
Missões diferentes poderão ser relacionadas ao principal contribuidor cultural em uma base. Isso não travará nenhum conteúdo, mas dará um toque único às missões.
Poderão haver até grupos diferentes de missões que existem para raças específicas, e mesmo que vocês estejam dividindo uma missão para matar um chefe, se você é um humano e eu, um elfo, eu terei uma jornada diferentes que potencialmente me levará em uma direção diferente da sua, mesmo que nossa missão inicial seja a mesma; e isso poderá ser relacionado à principal cultura que contribuiu em uma base, liberando diferentes jornadas para culturas que dividem a mesma dessa principal - não com o objetivo de travar conteúdos, mas sim de dar um toque especial para que não seja tudo igual. – Steven Sharif
A raça importa pois as narrativas têm caminhos que também sãoa influenciados de acordo com a principal cultura deuma base... Se você é um Niküa e está em uma base Niküa que é predominantemente Niküa, terá certos serviços ou habilidades como membro dessa raça que outras raças não poderão acessar... Talvez eles tenham missões narrativas alternativas, mas não terão missões específicas. Assim, essas missões específicas dos Niküa vão se relacionar a uma meta-narrativa que está presente no mundo, e os jogadores teerão um certo controle sobre essa meta-narrativa; e isso será beneficial ao seu povo pois erá liberar certos conteúdos que outras raças ainda não liberaram. Então existe um incentive para progredir de maneira a impedir o progresso da raça dominante. – Steven Sharif
Missões que são específicas de raça, título, ou clã serão menos de 10% do total de missões. 90% das missões serão iguais para todos os jogadores.
NPC racial interaction
NPCs are going to react differently to different tags on a character.
Story of creation
The story of creation tells us of a race of beings known as The Ancients. Created in the likeness of what was once The Ten. The Ten imbued all of their qualities into one race to have stewardship over all of creation. The power of the Ancients grew and a rift divided the Ten in how to accommodate their new creation. Three of the Ten separated from the others and began to teach the Ancients the Secrets of the Essence. When the Seven learned of this, a great celestial battle ensued. Eons passed and you watched as the fight continued within the celestial kingdom. Some say it was the fight that created the stars and heaven we see today. With every blow between the Ten a star was born. When the battle was complete, the others and the Ancients were banished by the Seven into the Void. The Seven found the error of their ways and decided to split their qualities into four races instead of one; and this is how the Humans, Elves, Orcs and Dwarves came to be. You watch as the Seven created Verra and placed each of the races within their respective locations. As the story came to an end, a dark figure at a distance grew closer to you. Until all you could see was the darkness. And you wake up in a sweat after a nightmare. – Steven Sharif
The essence is a stream that exists across all planes of existence, but it exists at different levels of strength essentially at different levels that can be utilized; and the void is the furthest... There is a very minute amount of essence that can be found within the void. However the planes of existence that are in Ashes of Creation- they are connected across bridges created by the essence. So these ley-lines in a sense that exist within the different planes provide conduits of access and on Verra, which was a planet that was made after the ancient- the celestial battle. – Steven Sharif
The Essence is a metaphysical energy or life-force (Chi) that can be manipulated to create what could be viewed as magic. There are different planes of existence (realms) with varying degrees of strength (of magic), determined by their proximity to the Essence. The planes of existence in Ashes of Creation are connected across bridges created by the Essence.
- The Gods exist on the plane of the gods, which is the most connected to the Essence.
- The material plane is not the highest in terms of proximity to the Essence. Verra exists in the material plane.
- The Void is the plane that is the furthest from being connected to the Essence. Only a minute amount of essence can be found within the Void.
- There hasn't been a definitive understanding of how many planes of existence there are.
Souls acting as conduits is a very integral component of some broader features in the storyline. If you think about souls being a conduit for Essence and you think of the gods as masters of the Essence: If you think of the Essence being separate from the Gods- let's say they're parallel to eachother- one didn't create the other, but they coexist in this almost symbiotic form with one another: almost to the point where their manipulation of the Essence is perfection: They can perfectly manipulate it and lesser beings- and I say 'lesser' in a sense of their alignment or closeness to Essence. They're still perfecting that manipulation and some never achieve perfection almost to the degree of ascendency or enlightenment- Essence being that sort of Chi that exists. In that regard, when a perfect being such as the gods- and I'm not saying 'perfect' as the correlation between sin and not sin, I'm thinking perfect in the sense of how you can control and manipulate the Essence: That control is perfection for them. – Steven Sharif
When you think about souls being a conduit, what are conduits used for? Conduits are passages: they're methods by which Essence can travel between realms, between planes. And there hasn't been any definitive understanding of just how many planes exist. We understand that there is a disparity between the planes when it comes to their connection to the Essence, and because Essence is so powerful; and it flows through these planes almost like a river. You can think that conduits help to maintain that flow and/or even exaggerate the flow; and there might be something at play, that I don't wanna touch necessarily, as to why one would want to create these types of conduits, these souls, this creation on the material plane: Something of significance. – Steven Sharif
Souls are the conduits for The Essence to travel between the different planes of existence. This idea is an integral component of the broader features in the storyline.
- The gods are masters of the Essence, but they are separate from it. One didn't create the other, but they exist together in a symbiotic form where the gods have achieved an almost perfect manipulation of the Essence and of "lesser beings" who exist further from the Essence.
- The Essence is so powerful it flows through the planes almost like a river. Soul conduits help to maintain or even exaggerate this flow. Detail surrounding this has not yet been revealed but is said to have some significance in the story.
- King Atrax was the first ruler of Verra to discover the purpose of The Essence, allowing the manipulation of matter and exploitation of magic for any means.
- The Tulnar have souls and these souls act as conduits for the Essence.
During the Apocalypse, The Ancients created monstrosities and perverted nature with corruption, which is the negative aspect of The Essence.
- Shape-shifting (changeling) is done so through the Essence by focusing on that specific type of magic.
- Any form of changeling or shape shifting that's capable is done so through the Essence. There’s a few ways that a soul can become attuned to a specific type of magic in manipulating the Essence; and overtime as you manipulate the Essence in the same way, your soul can start to develop a tendency to gravitate towards that type of magic. So in that sense- those shape shifters and/or changelings that are capable of changing their form- they do so because they have mastered to a degree that type of magic; and their souls have become attuned to that type of magic. – Steven Sharif
- The Ancients themselves are more sedentary in their physical form and less capable of instantaneous shapeshifting. Their physical manifestations as Lieutenants, captains, generals, and raid bosses were honed over time due to their perversion of the Essence through corruption.
- They are literally bred into a role and that role has perfected over time because through the delineation of specific subsects of the soul of the conduit that this race has, those different castes become attuned to different roles. That's why they are traditionally in a caste society. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-04-30 (1:00:57).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-09-01 (1:02:18).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Ashes of Creation race breakdown.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Kickstarter $2,500,000 New Player Race Achieved.
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:00:54).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:01:57).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:02:35).
- ↑ Transcrição, 2022-11-05 (42:16).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Twitter - Capital city of the Aelan empire.
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-05-27 (1:04:29).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:05:24).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-02-25 (41:00).
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-08 (00:49).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-09-30 (1:06:56).
- ↑ Vídeo, 2022-03-31 (0:35).
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4 18.5 18.6 18.7 18.8
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 19.6 19.7 19.8 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-03-31 (1:06:54).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-08-26 (41:37).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-01-30 (1:07:50).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-08-26 (34:15).
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:00:28).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:01:29).
- ↑ Steven Sharif Twitter.
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-09-24 (1:10:31).
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-10-29 (44:32).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-09-30 (1:08:03).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:02:36).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-07-29 (46:09).
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-02-25 (59:12).
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-02-25 (46:17).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-03-31 (1:08:48).
- ↑ Vídeo, 2022-03-31 (0:00).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-09-27 (54:53).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-05-04 (34:30).
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 42.2
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:06:56).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:00:10).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-09-30 (1:05:25).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (50:05).
- ↑ Twitter - Steven Sharif - Py'Rai models.
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-02-25 (50:17).
- ↑ Twitter - Py'rai architecture.
- ↑ 53.0 53.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-02-25 (44:28).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-07-29 (59:00).
- ↑ Entrevista, 2018-10-31 (5:03).
- ↑ Kickstarter $1,750,000 Stretch Goal Unlocked, 13 May 2017.
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-30 (16:51).
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-17 (5:49).
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 59.2 59.3 59.4 59.5 Podcast, 2021-09-29 (16:51).
- ↑ Entrevista, 2020-07-20 (15:18).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-04-08 (23:04).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-26 (39:34).
- ↑ Podcast, 2020-11-15 (31:13).
- ↑ 65.0 65.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-11-22 (24:33).
- ↑ 66.0 66.1 Podcast, 2020-11-15 (40:24).
- ↑ Types of Events on Verra.
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-01-29 (1:15:44).
- ↑ 69.0 69.1 Entrevista, 2021-06-13 (33:21).
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-09-29 (20:27).
- ↑ 71.0 71.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-04-8 (PM) (13:39).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-01-28 (53:29).
- ↑ 73.0 73.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-01-28 (50:00).
- ↑ 74.0 74.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-08-27 (1:17:07).
- ↑ Twitter - The Tulnar are a proud, noble, Underrealm-dwelling race.
- ↑ 76.0 76.1 76.2 76.3 76.4 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-07-29 (56:00).
- ↑ 77.0 77.1 77.2 77.3 77.4 77.5 Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-04-8 (AM) (3:12).
- ↑ 78.0 78.1 78.2 78.3 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-08-23 (31:29).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-28 (20:17).
- ↑ 80.0 80.1 80.2 80.3 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-30 (15:10).
- ↑ 81.0 81.1 Podcast, 2021-09-29 (18:19).
- ↑ Podcast, 2020-11-15 (1:03:17).
- ↑ Entrevista, 2019-04-22 (58:20).
- ↑ 84.0 84.1 Entrevista, 2019-04-15 (20:15).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-02-25 (49:42).
- ↑ 86.0 86.1 Entrevista, 2018-10-20 (3:47:17).
- ↑ 88.0 88.1 88.2 Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (1:03:21).
- ↑ Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-09-30 (1:08:24).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-10-16 (15:58).
- ↑ 93.0 93.1 Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- ↑ Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (1:04:27).
- ↑ 95.0 95.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-12-22 (1:16:22).
- ↑ Vídeo, 2020-09-30 (2:44).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-09-30 (47:47).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-07-26 (54:06).
- ↑ 100.0 100.1 100.2 100.3 100.4 100.5 100.6 Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-03-31 (4:57).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-26 (44:11).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-26 (20:46).
- ↑ 103.0 103.1 103.2 Podcast, 2018-08-04 (53:43).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2022-10-28 (1:41:06).
- ↑ 105.0 105.1 Podcast, 2018-08-04 (55:17).
- ↑ 106.0 106.1 106.2 106.3 106.4 106.5 106.6 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-18 (35:58).
- ↑ 107.0 107.1 107.2 107.3 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-08 (43:30).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-08 (43:28).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-11-22 (1:4:56).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-04-8 (AM) (25:52).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-18 (37:25).
- ↑ Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (53:59).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-07-26 (1:28:31).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.
- ↑ 116.0 116.1 116.2 Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-06-26 (45:32).
- ↑ 117.0 117.1 Entrevista, 2021-02-07 (33:00).
- ↑ 118.0 118.1 Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- ↑ 119.0 119.1 119.2 119.3 119.4 Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (1:00:19).
- ↑ 120.0 120.1 120.2 120.3 120.4 120.5 Podcast, 2018-04-23 (29:56).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-02-09 (33:50).
- ↑ Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- ↑ 123.0 123.1 123.2 123.3 123.4 123.5 Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- ↑ 124.0 124.1 Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (54:34).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-26 (21:23).
- ↑ 126.0 126.1 Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (47:27).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-03-28 (32:30).
- ↑ 128.0 128.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-07-25 (1:03:03).
- ↑ 129.0 129.1
- ↑ 130.0 130.1 130.2 130.3 130.4 130.5
- ↑ 131.0 131.1 131.2 131.3 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-10-16 (53:58).
- ↑ 132.0 132.1
- ↑ 133.0 133.1 133.2
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-19 (29:25).
- ↑ 136.0 136.1 Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-28 (25:20).
- ↑ Vídeo, 2018-04-05 (40:08).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-09-03 (33:28).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-07-26 (1:13:23).
- ↑ Vídeo, 2022-07-29 (1:58).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:00:39).
- ↑ 142.0 142.1 142.2 142.3 142.4 Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-08 (0:00:00).
- ↑ 143.0 143.1 143.2 143.3 143.4 143.5 143.6 Podcast, 2020-11-15 (36:29).
- ↑ Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-08 (9:51).
- ↑ 145.0 145.1 145.2 145.3 Podcast, 2020-11-15 (42:22).