We just wanted to represent just about every biome type under the sun really and just have enough diversity over the world that like when you went from area to area you know, you really just got a contrast of different biome types. – Michael Bacon
- There will be dynamic weather that varies in intensity.
- For example: Drizzle to/from storm, or Blizzard to/from snow.
There are climate effects that occur from a buff standpoint. They can also affect skills like, let's say you're using a frost bolt in a winter climate. There's the ability for those effects to be enhanced and/or stronger in those climates. – Steven Sharif
- There will be regions of the map with seasons that are less (or more) temperate.
- For example: Northern, Southern and Tropical regions.
- Events may radically change the current season a zone is in, or elongate it.
- There will also be magical seasons where you might be in a tropical zone and suddenly it's snowing.
- Itens, crops, buildings, and crafting mechanics might gain certain buffs or debuffs in certain seasons.
Winter might have a spawner that activates on a road that spawns at large fallen tree and players who see that will have an opportunity to go up and exert some type of one-time action that helps in removing that tree and it might require you know X number of people to do that before the tree gets removed; and that you know as an example is not beneficial for the transit of goods because as you know caravans require- well they don't require but they move better on roads and if that tree were present let's say blocking you know a road that led to a bridge per-se that they would have to off-road. – Steven Sharif
- Pathways that are open during summer may be closed during winter.
- Seasonal affects may cause obstacles or blockages to the transit of goods via caravan.
- Water turning to ice in winter, enabling players to walk over the water but blocking access to what is underneath.
- Ice will make roads bumpy and slippery.
- Each month in real-life will effectively be a full seasonal rotation in the game.
- Environmental seasons are not to be confused with PvP seasons, which last for six months.
In Ashes of Creation the world will change on a regular basis. Zones will progress in a seasonal cycle, which will alter the very nature of the environment around you. Snow may block pathways that are accessible in warmer months, spring may encourage creatures otherwise unseen to come to the surface, and fall might be the only time that certain crops thrive. This cycle can then take in the state of the world’s Nodes and shift depending on their progression.
Day and night cycle
- Different monsters will spawn at different times.
- NPCs and mobs may be awake or have varying behaviors at different times of the day.
- Different emissive effects may be more prevalent on night creatures.
Fifteen minutes may be one hour in game time.
How deeply we take this though is really going to come down to how much fun it actually is, which we’re still in the process of discovering. As long as we can nail some interesting mechanics, and it’s not more frustrating than fun, make sure you bring your torch.
We can push the limits a little bit on the graphical fidelity, especially using Unreal Engine 4... My desire was not to see very cartoony games. I'm not a big fan of highly stylized art. – Steven Sharif
- The Alpha-1 starting area is set in the ruins of an Pyrian divine gateway.
- There are 12 different (sub)zones in the Alpha-1 testing location.
- The Alpha-1 zone is almost 100 km2 in size. This is about 17% of the total world size.
- Alpha island (also called Alpha-0 island) was the first open-world testing zone for Alpha-1 participants.
- There are approximately 4 biomes in Alpha-1: Flood plains, Sahara (Desert), Snowy mountains.
- Temporary teleportation points will be present in early tests until ships are introduced later in the alpha testing.
- Other elemental influences may include Darkness, Light and Planar.
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and climates. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter. This affects both PvE and Pvp.
- There may be ley lines and strong magical places in the world that change or alter the way spells work.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
Major visual landmarks. You can look all the way across the horizon have an idea where you're going or where to meet friends or where to meet just based on these huge landmarks in the world. – Mat Broome
The Underrealm is a rich environment where bio-luminescence abounds in the fauna and flora that exist here. These deep caverns and underground valleys provide new destinations for civilization to develop. Bringing the node system into the depths of the world may awaken darker creatures than the surface.
- The Underrealm is estimated to be 100 km2 in area.
- The underrealm is not contiguous across the entire map. There will be areas that are obstructed by chasms or other features.
- The location of Underrealm entrances throughout the world is focused around natural geographic choke-points that exist above ground. This provides alternate subterranean routes that can be used by caravans, raids, and other player activities.
- Not all entrances to the Underrealm will be open at the same time. This can shift dynamically (based on node states) that cause different routes to open up, which may be more or less advantageous than other routes.
The expansiveness of the Underrealm itself is quite large. It does persist across across a lot of the playable game area that's above ground. So there are alternatives in the Underrealm for passages and traversal throughout the world. – Steven Sharif
We've also talked about node states affecting what openings are open and what things are closed. So not all entrances to the Underrealm will be open at the same time. So that configuration can shift and different routes will open up and be more advantageous than other routes. – Jeffrey Bard
- Caravanas should be able to operate as they do above ground.
- If there's insufficient room for Dragões, another mount type may be utilized.
- Burrowing mounts are being considered as an alternative to flying mounts in the Underrealm.
One of the important aspects of color play is going to be the distinguishing factor between different Underrealms and the regions that exist in the world: Their color influences set them apart from different regions. – Steven Sharif
- This will not be a one-to-one correlation: for example, it won't snow in the Underrealm.
- Tunnel flooding and other effects will be related to the weather above ground.
The seasons above ground will kind of inform what happens underneath. I mean, it's not going to be a direct one-to-one correlation right, not like it's going to be raining in the underworld, but you will see the effects from above happen down below: You might find tunnels being flooded. – Jeffrey Bard
Coastal and island nodes
- These nodes will have specific water oriented influences and abilities, services, questlines, that relate to the seas.
- Coastal nodes change the spawn tables of the nearby water content and can also trigger specific events.
- Harbors in coastal nodes will have quest lines that relate to the ocean and nearby islands.
- It may be possible to siege a coastal city by sea.
- Characters are able to utilize their abilities while in the water.
- Stamina does not limit swimming, however breath does.
- There won't be nodes underwater or in the water.
- The developers have discussed potentially adding mechanics to potted plants that yield unique items if the plant is properly maintained.
One of the big directives for the environment team- and I know Mia has been amazing in this regard- is each of the biomes really need to have a a fairly eclectic selection of plant life, of vegetation, of foliage. These help to create the atmosphere that you are really immersed in this different climate zone and that that's obviously something that we as players enjoy when we get to see a significant diversity of plant life, because it does lend itself to the immersive nature of the world. – Steven Sharif
- Atacantes podem não ser capazes de destrur base durante um cerco. Em vez disso, podem executar ataques precisos para desabilitar edificações de serviços específicas dentro da base. Essas edificações podem ser atacadas com armas de cerco e bombas.
- Edificações de Base (including residências de jogadores) terão pontos de vida e podem ser danificadas durante cercos. Se as edificações sofrerem mais de aproximadamente 25% da sua vida em dano, qualquer PNJ ou serviço oferecido naquela edificação ficará desativado até que ela seja reparada.
- Se a base ainda existir após o fim do cerco, os cidadãos precisarão obter os recursos necessários para reparar e reconstruir qualquer infraestrutura danificada.
- Residências de jogadores que forem destruídas durante um cerco não poderão ser vendidas.
Você pode procurar ser mais preciso ao decidir atacar uma cidade. Digamos que uma base rival está tentando chegar, sei lá, no estágio cinco de base ou algo do tipo e você quer desativar a capacidade de progredirem seu sistema religioso. Você poderia focar no templo durante o ataque, ou talvez você queira impedir que a academia deles cheguem em um nível alto para que a de vocês possa; ou talvez você queira desativar diversas edificações que permitem que os cidadãos aceitem missões e recebam experiência, o que impede que eles compitam com a sua base em termos de experiência ganha. Esses ataques podem ser mais precisos e não precisam causar a destruição de uma base. – Steven Sharif
2021-06-30 2021-06-05 2021-04-22 2021-03-28 2021-03-22 2021-03-21 2021-02-11 2021-01-30 2020-12-01 2020-12-01 2020-09-09 2020-05-17 2020-02-28 2019-10-11 2019-06-28 2018-08-18 2018-07-10
- 2016-12-04 Video - Environment First Look
- 2017-01-22 Video - Seasons - first look
- 2017-05-16 Video - It's a beautiful world
- 2017-05-30 Video - Winter wonderland
- 2017-05-31 Video - A diverse world
- 2017-07-28 Video - Pre-alpha environment
- 2018-01-23 Video - Alpha-0 Underrealm Preview
- 2018-07-09 Video - Ashes of Creation - Alpha-1 Environment Preview
- 2019-01-11 Video - Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Siege Maps Preview
- 2021-01-29 Livestream
- 2021-02-01 Video - Tropical Biome in 4K - Alpha One Zones Preview
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-01 (29:33).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-06-25 (55:39).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-01-29 (21:55).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-06-25 (53:15).
- Vídeo, 2017-05-30 (0:01).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-18 (36:47).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (23:36).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-28 (41:25).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-09-30 (1:04:56).
- Vídeo, 2017-01-22 (0:02).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-08 (20:27).
- Ashes of Creation Instagram. May 1, 2020.
- Ashes of Creation Facebook. March 19, 2020.
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-09-27 (41:33).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-06-26 (1:29:06).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-07-26 (1:32:40).
- Our immersive world - Environments.
- Entrevista, 2020-07-18 (16:34).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (41:49).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (24:51).
- Ashes of Creation - Screenshots.
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-06-25 (29:58).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-12 (57:41).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (15:55).
- Vídeo, 2017-02-07 (0:02s).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Entrevista, 2018-10-20 (2:17:43).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Guide to Alpha One.
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (12:09).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (22:43).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (9:51).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-03-26 (16:05).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (1:21:49).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (53:01).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-11-30 (25:45).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-01-29 (26:38).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-18 (1:05:04).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-24 (27:47).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-01 (20:23).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-06-26 (1:32:16).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-08-17 (10:01).
- Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- Entrevista, 2018-10-31 (6:00).
- A chat with Ashes of Creation's Steven Sharif, 7 June 2017.
- Kickstarter $1,750,000 Stretch Goal Unlocked, 13 May 2017.
- Entrevista, 2018-08-17 (10:43).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-10-30 (1:19:13).
- Entrevista, 2018-10-31 (5:43).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-01 (24:30).
- Entrevista, 2018-08-17 (8:57).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-01-18 (14:00).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-08-17 (58:53).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 8 April 2018 (PM) (1:01:28).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (48:05).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-19 (37:51).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-17 (30:53).
- Kickstarter - We Just Broke $1,500,000!
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-07-31 (1:42:41).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-01-29 (1:00:57).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-19 (38:46).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-09-30 (55:39).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 8 April 2018 (AM) (18:29).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-07-31 (1:39:00).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2021-01-29 (56:58).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-10-30 (44:22).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-10-30 (43:01).
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Early Access.
- Vídeo, 2019-09-24 (0:10).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-06-28 (31:15).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-11-22 (16:56).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-08 (57:46).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2019-11-22 (17:59).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-08 (59:38).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-06-26 (1:02:12).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-07-18 (40:14).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-11-17 (47:10).