- Religion is intended to be a motivator, not an aesthetic.
- Choosing a religion enables a player to walk a light or a dark path.
Pantheon of gods
Early in the creation of the Universe the pantheon of gods was split. Some gods influence the corrupt side of beings that exist in the Universe. It is possible through questing and player decision to join or worship those gods.
- The Ancients and The Others are the evil gods who are the primary antagonists in the lore who defiled and perverted all of creation.
- The Ancients were imbued with all of the traits of the Gods, whereas the four parent races of Verra had those attributes spread amongst them.
- It is possible for some storylines to relate to a darker/evil path, if a character should choose.
- Goddess of Love.
- Goddess of Creation.
- The Phoenix is the celestial avatar of the Goddess of Creation.
- Goddess of Fate (Norlan).
- God of Hope (Resna).
- God of Truth (Shol).
The story of creation tells us of a race of beings known as The Ancients. Created in the likeness of what was once The Ten. The Ten imbued all of their qualities into one race to have stewardship over all of creation. The power of the Ancients grew and a rift divided the Ten in how to accommodate their new creation. Three of the Ten separated from the others and began to teach the Ancients the Secrets of the Essence. When the Seven learned of this, a great celestial battle ensued. Eons passed and you watched as the fight continued within the celestial kingdom. Some say it was the fight that created the stars and heaven we see today. With every blow between the Ten a star was born. When the battle was complete, the others and the Ancients were banished by the Seven into the Void. The Seven found the error of their ways and decided to split their qualities into four races instead of one; and this is how the Humans, Elves, Orcs and Dwarves came to be. You watch as the Seven created Verra and placed each of the races within their respective locations. As the story came to an end, a dark figure at a distance grew closer to you. Until all you could see was the darkness. And you wake up in a sweat after a nightmare. – Steven Sharif
Orders of the seven
- The Order of hope is an Aelan human order based in the capital city of Aela. The patron deity is Resna.
- The Order of fate is a Kaivek orc order headquartered in the capital city of Ren. Patron deity is Norlan.
- The Order of truth is a Pyrian elven order headquartered in the capital city of Amera. Patron deity is Shol.
Within the temples of the seven there exist different levels of organizations that call on only the most devout followers to serve. Depending on the follower's skills, services could mean many things. For those among the followers who hold a certain set of skills, there are the orders of the seven. Each of the orders answers to a different hierarchy within the various grand temples of the seven that are found throughout Verra. – Steven Sharif
- Unique titles.
Let's say you go to the temple and you sign up to be a follower of that religion. There is an inter-organization quest line that can advance and rank and title and only one person can be the leader for a period of time. If they advance all the way to the top. So like during sieges they'll have special benefits like they can you know grant divine prayer buff to allies within x amount of distance of them during the siege. – Steven Sharif
- Unique shop items.
- Papéis that open up during events or node sieges, providing that node has a temple dedicated to the player's deity and the player is a citizen of that node.
- Unique augments are top tier achievements within a religion.
- Recipes are be unlocked based on a player's status within the religion.
Certain titles will have special abilities. They'll be able to do special things during a siege or an event. So as a bishop you maybe have access when these events or sieges come online a secondary hot bar that provides you with those abilities. You may get additional hit points. You may have additional damage mitigation. You're sort of like a leader amongst your citizens in that regard; and that would be true for the mayor as well and other positions. – Steven Sharif
- Religious augments are considered top-tier achievements within a religion.
- These augments can be stacked on top of class augments. They will have a give-and-take system based on the choices a player makes.
You're going to have advancement within the religion and within the church that you're a part of. And those advancements are going to be both reflective of the community's development of that religion out in the world: Building temples, building infrastructure for that, completing certain quests for it; and then you will benefit from the community's development of that specific religion via having certain augment abilities that you'll gain access to be able to apply on top of your secondary class augments to skills; and it's going to reflect what the nature of that religion is. – Steven Sharif
- Players may follow only one religion at a time.
- Religious progression is based on quests that are only offered to followers of that religion.
- Religions have a ranking system based on a player's performance in these quests and the number of quests completed.
- Changing religion will cause loss of progress in a player's previous religion.
It depends on their dedication to the religion itself; their performance when it comes to certain religion's religious objectives; their contribution to the development of that religion within the world. There's a lot of different markers that we use at each stage to determine how they progress within the religion. – Steven Sharif
If you want to abstain from the religion progression path you may do so... It's not gonna hurt you I guess, because a lot of these augments are kind of "sidegrades". But I think you'd be missing out on a lot of what the game has to offer. – Jeffrey Bard
To answer, "do you have to go down a religious path". You don't have to. The idea of that path is to provide a horizontal progression. So it doesn't become a requirement in order to maintain parity with other people advancing. – Steven Sharif
There is guild affiliation, there's party affiliation, there's a raid affiliation, alliance affiliation, there's a citizenship affiliation, there's society affiliation, there's religious affiliation. All of these things have some hierarchy; and within that hierarchy there's the ability to participate within certain systems. So for example, if you have a node that has fallen under your vassal state and you're a citizen of the parent node, then you could participate in a siege against the vassal node but if you're a citizen of the vassal node you could not participate as an attacker against the parent node; so there's a hierarchy, unless you were to renounce your citizenship. – Steven Sharif
- Shrines may grant access to certain tithes that can be made to your deity.
- These could be a stepping-stone to unlock deeper progression within a religion.
- Shrines will not provide the same benefits as Temples but they are the "next best thing".
- Players may be able to pay to use other player's freehold shrines.
Removing player corruption
- Dying removes a significant portion of a player's corruption score.
- Gaining experience will also slowly reduce a player's corruption score.
- A quest may be utilized to reduce the player kill (PK) count of a corrupt player in order for them to accumulate less corruption score in the future.
- Corruption duration is reduced in military nodes.
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (23:15).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-08 (44:51).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-26 (15:37).
- May newsletter.
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-26 (10:58).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 8 April 2018 (AM) (16:50).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (50:10).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 8 April 2018 (AM) (10:02).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-20 (13:33).
- Entrevista, 2018-10-31 (6:00).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:01:18).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:00:20).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:06:56).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-11-03 (0:00:39).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-10-16 (13:54).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-12 (54:35).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-10-31 (52:38).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-07-25 (57:02).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-29 (20:16).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2020-07-25 (1:52:45).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 8 April 2018 (PM) (28:38).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-01 (31:47).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-01 (33:40).
- Entrevista, 2018-10-20 (0:00).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-06-01 (34:12).
- Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (58:07).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2017-05-24 (9:58).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-07-09 (20:41).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-18 (44:35).
- Entrevista, 2017-04-27 (0:17).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (30:51).
- Transmissão ao vivo, 2018-06-04 (2:18).